Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Farm plan

Sorry I've been absent. Things have gotten ahead of me.

We have our final farm classroom session on Thurs night. I can't believe we are through already. It has been one of the most enjoyable, rewarding, frightening, self-reflective exercises that I have ever done. It was made even better that Bll and I did it together.

We have learned a lot.

I think about things like branding, identifying my customer(s), setting my pricing, where/when/how/why to sell, my 'story' and all sorts of other things. It also removed my farm-business-rose-colored-glasses. I have a new appreciation of truly.how.hard it is to make a decent living as a small farmer.

And more than anything else - we have developed friendships with the other classmates and we now feel like we are part of a community of like-minded folks. That has been very important and fulfilling for me.

4 comments:

Judy T said...

I'm glad you had a great experience. I'm looking into some permaculture landscaping classes here that should be fun.
Judy

Jena said...

It sounds like a great experience. Keep your eyes on the prize. :)

Barb said...

So glad you are moving forward. I saw your website. Looks great! I feel lik we are at a stand still right now. Too busy at work to even get to the farm lately. A farming class would do us a lot of good.

angie said...

Thanks Judy, Jena and Barb -

I appreciate your support.