Thursday, December 3, 2009

Squash quesadillas

I baked up a huge butternut squash last weekend that we have been eating on several times this week. I forgot to take a picture, but it wouldn't fit in my 9x13" baking pan. I had to pull out my big roasting pan. After eating a meal of squash, we still had about 7 C of squash. (yes, it was grown organically and locally by our Southern Wisc meat vendor for my food coop).

Last night we had squash quesadillas.

Heated up several cups of squash. Added a small amount of honey and a lot of garlic. Meanwhile we carmelized some onions from Two Onion Farm with some chipolte pepper (this was a canned item).

On flour tortillas we spread some squash (thinly), topped with the onions and lightly with some cheese (mozzarella from Roelli Cheese - not organic, but local - I shredded it myself) topped with another tortilla and popped into a 325 oven until warmed and slightly browned. Topped with homemade roasted green tomato salsa and some fresh greens from the yard.

Quick and delicious!

2 comments:

Judy T said...

Yum! That sounds delicious!!! We actually smoked some chipotles of our own two years ago. We had a HUGE bumper crop of jalapenos and had lots ripen at the same time so we smoked and then dried them. I didn't can any but we've still got some dried ones left. I double bagged them and stuck them in the freezer to keep them 'fresh' longer. They're great to throw in chile or to soak and use for something like this. Hmmmm.....
Judy

Barb said...

That sounds so good! I have a squash waiting to be cooked. Maybe that is what I'll do during the snowstorm :-)