Saturday, June 11, 2011

Buttresses II

These were the concrete buttresses at the beginning of the day on the Sunday of Memorial Day.







Bill and I got down into the holes and pulled the nails from the top level of the forms and manually removed the braces and the top level. We tried to pull the bottom level out with the truck on a come-along but our 2000 lbs come along broke. So we went with the tractor - as was the initial plan along - we just tried to cheat by using the truck. This spring we bought a set of hayforks; what a useful tool. In this photo, you see the hayforks along side the concrete. Using a massive, heavy-duty logging/towing chain, we attach the fork to the lower form. Work it loose slowly and then heave it out.


The holes were dug narrowly because we need to minimalize soil displacement as much as possible to not diminsh the structural integrity of the current walls. Frankly, we are worried that removing more soil than this could result in further structural loss of the walls.


Top level is gone - Bill is attaching the logging chain








This photo shows how embedded this form is



Sparky pulls out the form in no time flat




(Yes, our tractor's name is Sparky)



No more forms -

of the 12 lower ones; we only have 1 that requires significant repair;

they all came out clean and ready for re-use




Me - at the end of the day. Having the time of my life.








1 comment:

Barb and Steve said...

Great work! Bet you are glad that is done!