Thursday, December 1, 2011
Saturday, November 26, 2011
Sunday, November 13, 2011
Thursday, October 6, 2011
Spanish Roja - a Rocambole
Simonetti - an Artichoke
Tuesday, October 4, 2011
Sunday, October 2, 2011
It needs 80 - 90 days for fruit to fully develop and since we were so late getting our plants in, the green fruit didn't ripen on the plant fully. There are hundreds of little peppers on these plants. I didn't have time to harvest all of the peppers so we just cut the plant at the base. Instead of picking off all of the green fruit, we hung it in our backyard in Chicago and the fruits are beginning to turn orange.
It is hanging on an antique tobacco dryer
Wednesday, September 28, 2011
Tuesday, September 27, 2011
Buckwheat stubble - it did a great job of smothering the seed bank
We will plant in alternating beds within the field and in the fallow beds will plant clover which will suppress the weed seeds and allow a nice path for access to the plants.
Sparky the tractor went into our Mennonite farmer neighbors for a tune-up (they run a tractor repair and a roadside farm stand). They are nice folks and we enjoyed meeting them. They run tractors on steel wheels instead of rubber. Here is a photo of a Mennonite doing some haying - note the wheels.
Monday, September 26, 2011
Towing chains hooked around the forks and the container
Bill used the forklift to lift up the corner and I slid a telephone pole underneath allowing the container to roll
In this photo, you can see the shute out of the upstairs window. This is what I use to scoop the lath, plaster and rubble by the shovelful easily into the dumpster.
Sunday, September 18, 2011
Several of our new implements have the quick on/off. We had to retro-fit the bucket and several of the older implements.
Then welded on the new frame and it quickly connects to Sparky
During our last concrete pour, we made a counterweight
Saturday, September 17, 2011
Field #1 in full bloom buckwheat - will be cut on Monday