Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Flood in late July

We took a long weekend in late July and were in Wisconsin during 4 days of lots of rain.


Water in the seasonal creek - we were so happy to have our new culvert!

We had spent two days (Thurs and Fri) cleaning out the root cellar of the old farmhouse. On Saturday, Bill was planning on installing a sump-pump and a dehumidifier. Mother Nature had a different plan. It rained about 5" on Friday night - after two days of multiple inches) and the watershed off of the back bluff/hillside behind the farmhouse shed water straight off the hill and right into the root cellar. We think the water was up 5' and flowing out the root cellar window.

Bill surveying the amount of water and how to engineer our way out of this one...



Ick. This is the root cellar. You can see the window in the back that water flowed out. An old water heater (round object in the foreground), a non-working furnace on the right back, and our brand new pressure tank (blue floating object). This is about 18" of water.


During this trip, I also started on the kitchen demolition. This photo shows the kitchen in the old farmhouse before it met me.

After me. I pulled out all of the cabinets, the sink and the paneling and fake walls.





And look at this. Terribly ugly paneling. I pulled it off and ....




Oh my - there is a door! This is the original front door of the farmhouse. We are going to salvage it and use it as an interior door in the new house.



This next photo is for my sister-in-law S.M., the cat lady.

2 comments:

All Natural Mama said...

Your farmhouse looks similar to a lot that I have been through around here in my search as well, lol.
Good luck!

angie said...

Hi Penny,

Thanks! Yes, it is quite a challenge.